Monday, August 29, 2011

Hurricanes

Hurricane Irene has just made its way up our coastline this past weekend, and I, too, feel a hurricane in my life right now.  Everything is swirling and blowing around me, threatening me with floods of tears, stirring up my very living space and causing my head to spin out of control. 
In order to find peace, do I look for the center of this storm and settle into the eye where all is calm while the storm continues to whip around me?  Or do I just plow through head first, knowing I will be battered about until I get to the other side?  If I ride it out in the center, surely it will fall apart as hurricanes always do.
Until this storm passes…and all storms do pass…I guess I need to hunker down and batten down the hatches!!  Just as the weather turned beautiful, bright and calm when Irene passed, so the prediction of my life must be a beautiful turn for the better when my own hurricane passes.
These are the difficult times of life.  These are the times that while we are going through them seem to make no sense.  We ask “why?” and know the answers are never revealed until later on.  On a day when our life is once again like a sunny day on the beach, we suddenly realize why the hurricane had to come.  We may be changed and rearranged, but in a positive way….a way we created even. 
Maya Angelou said, “I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it”.  So, bring it on!!  I look forward to the day when my personal hurricane has blown by and fallen apart!

No comments:

Post a Comment