Monday, June 13, 2011

Miracles Happen Every Day

Photo by Graur Razvan Ionut
These thoughts have been on my mind for several days so I must get them out!!  It’s about Miracles…you know, the kind that happen every day, especially if we are expectant and anticipating them.  There’s one we take for granted every day…waking up!  We are alive!  We are animated!  We have choice, if not in what we do, at least in how we do it. 
Sometimes they come about from need and by holding the need as met rather than as unfulfilled.  This happened just last week for me.  I had a need.  My past patterns were to worry, shuffle it around over and over as to what I must do and how I could make it happen.  Since I have many years worth of knowing for a fact that this method does not fulfill the need, I decided to do what I’ve been intuiting I should…just hold the thought that the need is fulfilled and not worry about the hows or wherefores.  As my minister once told me, “get off the ways and means committee”!!  Anyway, I began my week last week with needs.  I did not worry and when I found myself worrying or orchestrating, I just said, “All is well.  I am safe.  I am loved” and the needs got fulfilled completely.
And not only were my “needs” met…something I have been wanting also made its way to my door!  It was a lovely bedroom suite for my granddaughter!  I have been wanting to re-do her room since she came to live with me last Thanksgiving.  God, the Universe, Divine Will…by whatever name you choose to call it…brought all the pieces together.  I am so wonderfully blessed and appreciative!
I must comment here that often, in order for miracles to happen, someone else must listen to their inner guidance.  So it is as important for us to expect and receive miracles as it is to be receptive to being used to provide one for someone else.  It could be as simple as giving a smile or kind word to someone and it could change their entire day.  Maybe you get the urge to call someone and it was just the encouragement they needed.  Maybe you just get that feeling to do or say something and you have no idea why.  DO IT!!  You may be being used to provide a miracle in someone else’s day.  I am so thankful to the dear persons that heeded their inner promptings last week to provide some miracles for me! 
This is what compassionate service is all about…the giving and receiving of miracles.  Look around yourself…can’t you find one miraculous thing?  If you cannot, I suggest you get up and look in a mirror…there you will see one of the greatest miracles of all!  Go out and be open to giving and receiving miracles today…I would bet on the fact that something amazing will happen!
What a coincidence?!?  My inbox delivered Walt Whitman’s “Miracles” as the poem of the day!  I will share it with you below, as it truly sums up my thoughts…everything can be perceived as a miracle!

Miracles
by Walt Whitman                                                                
Why, who makes much of a miracle?
As to me I know of nothing else but miracles,
Whether I walk the streets of Manhattan,
Or dart my sight over the roofs of houses toward the sky,
Or wade with naked feet along the beach just in the edge of
   the water,
Or stand under trees in the woods,
Or talk by day with any one I love, or sleep in the bed at night
   with any one I love,
Or sit at table at dinner with the rest,
Or look at strangers opposite me riding in the car,
Or watch honey-bees busy around the hive of a summer
   forenoon,
Or animals feeding in the fields,
Or birds, or the wonderfulness of insects in the air,
Or the wonderfulness of the sundown, or of stars shining so
   quiet and bright,
Or the exquisite delicate thin curve of the new moon in spring;
These with the rest, one and all, are to me miracles,
The whole referring, yet each distinct and in its place.

To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle,
Every cubic inch of space is a miracle,
Every square yard of the surface of the earth is spread with
   the same,
Every foot of the interior swarms with the same.

To me the sea is a continual miracle,                                                                                           
The fishes that swim—the rocks—the motion of the waves—                      
   the ships with men in them,
What stranger miracles are there?                           


No comments:

Post a Comment