Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Road Not Taken

As I mentioned in my previous post, poems have always been a source of inspiration for me.  From time to time I will quote one and say a line or two.  On occassion I may share one I have written.  This one has been dear to me since my 5th grade teacher played a recording of Mr. Robert Frost himself reciting it!  It is a poem about choices....choices that to the narrator of this poem made a huge difference in his life....but to me, the deeper meaning is that once on a path, can you make another choice?  In honor of Mother's Day, this poem is dedicated to my Mother, Jean Lewis Mills.  (RIP Dec 19, 1927 - Aug 4, 1989)



The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really abut the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden back.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
                            -Robert Frost 

No comments:

Post a Comment